What Careers Are There?
The computing field is red hot! Opportunity is knocking! Paraphrasing the title lyric of the one-hit wonder from Timbuk 3: "Your computing future is so bright, you gotta wear shades!"
Here are some external (non-Appstate) resources about computing careers:
- Forbes Magazine Top 10 Jobs for 2015 (we are #2,7,9)
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Department Sponsored Clubs
- ASCII: Appalachian Society for Computing, Informatics and Innovation - a recognized campus student club
- Linux@App - a recognized campus club
- Video Game Development Club - a recognized campus club
- WICS: Women in Computer Science - a recognized campus club
Other Interesting Clubs
- Nerd Network - a recognized campus club
- Gaming Club - a recognized campus club
- Math Association of America - a recognized campus club
- AITP - Association of Information Technology Professionals - a recognized chapter of AITP; a recognized campus club
Introduction to Student Opportunities
There are numerous opportunities for our students to get practical, applied experiences using the knowledge they are learning in their classes.
- The department does not place students into these experiences but we do pass on notices of these opportunities for students to pursue.
- group-csugrad and group-csgrad email lists (contact Dr. Fenwick to post to these lists, students can see past messages via Google Groups page)
- this shared Google Drive folder has flyers with these opportunities (contact Dr. Fenwick to post a document here, students can view via Google account and sign up for notifications of folder changes)
- We do keep a healthy list of various opportunities including internships, work co-ops, and REUs (research experiences for undergraduates). Click here for this list.
- Dr. Fenwick is director of the department's internship program. Visit the internship page to learn about how to have your experience count for course credit. But you must make these arrangements prior to the work.